Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:09:57 +1300
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de>, FreeBSD-Current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, mjacob@feral.com
Subject:   Re: -current crash

On Sunday, 17 October 1999 at 22:42:51 +0200, Michael Reifenberger wrote:
> Hi,
> I got the following crash since a couple of time since upgrading one machine to
> -current as of today. It seems to occurs during somewhat heavier diskaccess.
> Sorry no detailed backtrace for now because I deleted my kernel.debug since the
> last crash and dumping 256MB takes a long time...
>
> Does the crash trigger anything.

> ---
> #0  0xc0152368 in boot ()
> #0  0xc0152368 in boot ()
> #1  0xc0152741 in panic ()
> #2  0xc0211b40 in trap_fatal ()
> #3  0xc02117b1 in trap_pfault ()
> #4  0xc0211313 in trap ()
> #5  0xc101891b in ?? ()
> #6  0xc1018752 in ?? ()
> #7  0xc101854e in ?? ()
> #8  0xc0186a66 in spec_strategy ()
> #9  0xc018601d in spec_vnoperate ()
> #10 0xc01bb351 in ufs_vnoperatespec ()
> #11 0xc0173bf7 in bread ()
> #12 0xc01ac05b in ffs_update ()
> #13 0xc01b60d6 in ufs_inactive ()
> #14 0xc01bb321 in ufs_vnoperate ()
> #15 0xc017bf81 in vrele ()
> #16 0xc018257b in vn_close ()
> #17 0xc0182de8 in vn_closefile ()
> #18 0xc014a81d in fdrop ()
> #19 0xc014a7d3 in closef ()
> #20 0xc0149e0c in close ()
> #21 0xc0211df1 in syscall ()
> #22 0x200d44f1 in ?? ()
> <snip>
> (kgdb) quit

Well, without debugging symbols it's difficult to guess what's going
on here.  Frames 5 to 7 are interesting.  Either you've run into the
woods, or you're using a kld.  Is this with Vinum, perhaps?  If so,
you should read vinum(4) or
http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html.  Otherwise you should at
least build a debug kernel; the references could help there too.

On Sunday, 17 October 1999 at 13:50:27 -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Well, a DDB traceback would help. Failing that, at least what does
> 0xc101891b correspond to.... otherwise, it's all ENOGUESS....

A ddb traceback will give you a little more information (some
parameters), but I don't think that it's much better.