Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2018 13:17:10 +0100
From:      Tim1Kopplow@bundeswehr.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Proxy Madness

Hello there, I'm super new to FreeBSD and i really enjoy using it so far!

Our environment is behind a proxy which makes things "interesting" all the
time.
I'm coming from Linux and expected issues with proxy usage but at first
everything
went smoothly (using pkg, git, npm) with just giving Environment Variables
like:

HTTP_PROXY=http://username:password@proxyurl:port

Today i encountered that freebsd-update, which is using phttpget, doesn't
like it like this
Instead it requires:

HTTP_PROXY=http://proxyurl:port
HTTP_PROXY_AUTH=basic:*:username:password

to be set. Which atleast makes git and npm not work again.

Probably because git and npm and mainstream applications like this are
coming not
necessarily from bsd work where i first encountered HTTP_PROXY_AUTH usage.

So it is atleast understandable to some degree.

So far my experience with FreeBSD and proxy usage.

Now, since this is the Question Mailinglist here comes my Question:

"What is wrong with fetch??" This little piece of software says that it
respects all the stuff
(according to the man page). It says it respects, http_proxy, HTTP_PROXY,
HTTP_AUTH, HTTP_PROXY_AUTH basically everything. But it's just not
working.

I looked already at the source of "Fetch" an the only thing regarding
proxy i can find is
a little code about "noproxy". TBF i don't know if i looked at the right
place since the webinterface
of the svn isn't the most userfriendly place in existance but i tried.

So What's the deal with Fetch? Am i missing obvious Points or did i just
gone mad already?

Oh and is there a IRC i can join to discuss stuff like this?

Thanks in advance.