Date:      Thu, 10 May 2012 15:46:54 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: yelp update ?

In message <CADLFttfPnW=3FX7PtqCNUHqy7HYRucrBT9mD4TOySa0ntXhHBg@mail.gmail.com>
, Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:40 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette
><rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>>

>> Excuse me if this is an impertinent question, but could someone please tell
>> me why the FreeBSD port of yelp has not been updated since Sept 28, 2010?
>
>Because it's latest version of GNOME 2.x.

Regarding that assertion...

What is in the ports tree is yelp version 2.30.2.  But as you can see here:

   http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/yelp/

There were several more 2.x.x versions after that, presumably all generally
compatible with GNOME 2.x, specifically:

2.31.1
2.31.2
2.31.3
2.31.4
2.31.5
2.31.6
2.31.7

2.91.8
2.91.9   <==== fixes the %u issue
2.91.10
2.91.90
2.91.91
2.91.92

>You should ask GNOME folks why they stopped update the 2.x version.

I am guessing that they would probably say that it was because they moved
on to work on 3.x.  No?

>All of your reports in last a few days are already in the PR in a few
>weeks ago with patch available. Before you ask me why I do not commit
>it?

You read my mind.
:-)

>Because I have GNOME 3 installed and I can't test GNOME 2 until I
>uninstall GNOME 3 and test GNOME 2 to allow me to touch a lot of PRs.

I understand your difficulty here.  However I am inclined to ask if you
have been laboring under this unfortunate impediment since circa Sept. 28,
2010.

Well, in any event, to the extent that I can, I'd like to be of assistance.
I do have a spare (older) Athlon XP system that I could probably afford to
ship to you, if you are not too far away from me.  (But it is _only_ the
tower... no monitor, keybpard, or mouse.)  And also, I have a couple of
these things lying around that I'm not using (and a few that I am):

http://www.amazon.com/Genica-Mobile-Rack-Removable-Black/dp/B000FA0W80/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336689460&sr=1-2

Personally, I have found them to be very handy for developing on multiple
playforms and/or under multiple environments.

I probably could scrounge up a spare drive or two also.  Please let me know
if any of this stuff would be at all helpful.

I do understand that it is difficult to develop stuff when you hare dealing
with multiple versions of something that are constantly changing out from
under you all of the time.

Regards,
rfg