Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 06:59:23 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Peter Avalos" <pavalos@theshell.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ypserv giving out encrypted passwords

In message <AAEMIFFLKPKLAOJHJANHOEKECEAA.pavalos@theshell.com>, "Peter
Avalos"
writes:
> I'm running ypserv as a slave and ypbind on a 4.1-S machine.
>
> Snip from ypserv(8) manpage:
>
>      To make up for this, the FreeBSD version of ypserv handles the
>      master.passwd.byname and master.passwd.byuid maps in a special way.
> When
>      the server receives a request to access either of these two maps, it
> will
>      check the TCP port from which the request originated and return an
> error
>      if the port number is greater than 1023.  Since only the superuser is
> al-
>      lowed to bind to TCP ports with values less than 1024, the server can
> use
>      this test to determine whether or not the access request came from a
>      privileged user.  Any requests made by non-privileged users are
> therefore
>      rejected.
>
> This sounds like a wonderful thing, but why only tcp? I don't want people to
> ypcat master.passwd and get all the encrypted passwords on my system. I
> verified that a ypmatch uses udp on a port >1023 witch tcpdump:
>
> ypmatch pavalos master.passwd
> pavalos:*SNIPPED*:501:1000::0:0:pavalos:/usr/home/prm/pavalos:/bin/bash
> 06:35:27.149969 lithium.theshell.com.stun-port > lithium.theshell.com.778:
> udp 88
> 06:35:27.150136 lithium.theshell.com.778 > lithium.theshell.com.stun-port:
> udp 108
>
> stun-port       1994/udp   #cisco serial tunnel port
>
> So my question is: Is this a configuration error, or a 'feature' (bug)?

I was unable to recreate your problem here at home (the only place I do
use YP).  Tcpdump showed that appropriate ports were used when root or
non-root made issued the request.  Are you sure you weren't root or
that ypmatch wasn't setuid root on the client system?

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC