Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 20:00:46 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1021424446.a121e6@mired.org>
To:        dan@langille.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat List <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>

In <20010510201935.BD84B3F45@bast.unixathome.org>, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> typed:
> On 9 May 2002 at 20:12, Alan B. Clegg wrote:
> > Unless the network is lying to me again, Dan Langille said:
> > > I assume other people are getting similar message from this misconfigured
> > > spam checker.
> > No, Dan, it is not configured wrong, you sent it To: me with a Cc: to the
> > list.  When you send it To: me, you get a message From: my checker.  Please
> > check your headers and don't make a public ass of yourself (as I have just
> > done by asking you not to do the same to yourself.  ;)
> Yeah. Me. Again. Sorry.  I fucked up.    My apologies.

No, Dan, you didn't fuck up. It looks like Alan is running a poor - I
won't say broken - TMDA configuration. Any configuration that sends
mail with addresses that require a confirmation is poor, as that is
easily avoided with TMDA. The point is to reduce unsoliticed mail, not
force everyone you send mail to to jump through hoops.

> I've been dealing with so many of these things lately.  People subscribe
> to my mailing lists.  Then when the announcement goes out, I have to
> confirm for them.  It's a nice feature, but I really hate having to do
> that for them when they should have enabled the address in the first
> place.  That doesn't apply to this situation, where it's me at fault.

There are at least two ways to configure TMDA so that the problem you
saw doesn't occur. Since the FreeBSD lists don't check that mail is
from a subscriber, the simplest is to whitelist freebsd.org with:

	from *@=freebsd.org ok

in filters/incoming. This also means that people closing PR's won't
have to confirm, which is a good thing. You then use dated addresses
on outgoing mail with

	to *@=freebsd.org dated

in filters/outgiong.  That people who reply promptly won't be asked to
confirm, but you won't be bombarded with spam from people harvesting
the list archives as the address will expire.

For the more general problem of subscribing to arbitrary mailling
lists on domains you don't trust, you can either whitelist the
envelope sender - which should be the same on all messages - or
subscribe with a keyworded address. You can either use that keyword
address on all mail going out to the list, or use dated addresses and
set the envelope sender appropriately for that list.

All of this is covered - repeatedly and in depth - in the TMDA users
mail list archives.

For those interested in trying TMDA out, it's in the ports tree as
mail/tmda.

	<mike