Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 11:41:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Kenneth R. Westerback" <krw@tcn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A Troff Tutorial (usd:22) - hiding or not present

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Kenneth R. Westerback wrote:

> I am interested in poking about in the documentation for FreeBSD, learning
> how it is all generated.  Eventually DocBook, etc. but
> it seems a lot is in troff (and from postings here DocBook -> troff seems
> to be preferred) and I can't seem to find any introductory material on
> troff.
>
> Is the document "A Troff Tutorial (usd:22)" as mentioned in
> /usr/share/doc/usd/contents.ascii.gz installed somewhere?  Not to mention
> other documents from the BSD distribution.  If not part of the FreeBSD
> distribution is the document available for downloading/printing anywhere?
> Or do I have to buy the O'Reilly 4.4BSD documents.  Alternatively is there
> another Troff document/book that is recommended?

The referenced troff tutorial doesn't seem to be on my installation of
2.2R either.

I found a troff tutorial (by searching with altavista, as I recall)
at http://csdeca.cs.missouri.edu/~manager/LAB/troff.html.  I also
found another one that seems to be help for students on a particular
system; I'll mail you that one if you want it.  That was about it.

Annelise