Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:51:22 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        PetBuilder <petbuilder@mediaone.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which Ports are what

PetBuilder wrote:

> Durring the install, I chose to install the ports collection. Later during
> the install it asked me if I want to install a peticular port now.
> I looked at all the files and could not identify any of them. Is there a
> list somewhere that tells you which file name is what?

I guarantee that you'll get better responses if you take some time to phrase
your question better and include some details.  I read this thing over about
twelve times, and I'm only guessing that I understand what you're asking.

If you're asking how to figure out which port does what, the easiest way is
to surf through the port information at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

If you're curious about what's installed and so forth, /var/db/pkg contains
a subdirectory for each installed package, there are files in there with a
list of all files installed, as well as descriptions. (all simple ASCII text
files)

You may want to take the time to read the handbook section so you understand
the difference between ports and packages, as it appears to me that you're
getting the two confused:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

I hope I've answered your question.

-Bill