Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 23:39:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Wang Huaibo <bu-fl@cs.sjtu.edu.cn>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quesion

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Wang Huaibo wrote:

> 	I wonder what's the difference between /dev/ptyXX and /dev/ttyXX
> ( appears in telnetd source file "sys_term.c" )and whether there is
> Electronic version of books about Unix design and implementation
> downoladable from the net.

Well, /dev/ttyXX are physical devices.  You'll notice that there are
different types of tty devices, particulary ttyd* for dial-in devices and
ttyv* for virtual terminals.  You'd be more interested in the difference
between pty* and ttyp*, which is well explained in the pty(4) man page.

For design and implementation, I don't think there's much online
documentation except what's in the man pages and in /usr/share/doc/.

If you're interested in these topics, the book ``The Design and
Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System'' (aka the daemon book) is
required reading.  I forgot where, but FreeBSD users can obtain this book
cheaply through an online bookstore, check the -questions archives.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo