Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:38:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, <kbyanc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't resolve hosts via dns on the command line with latest -current

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2002-11-04 10:45, Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > > True.  I had been seeing problems with network connections the last
> > > days, and was already in the process of backing out changes one by one
> > > when I saw this.  Reverting 1.134 fixes things here.  If I put it back
> > > in, strange DNS failures start causing troubles with almost everything
> > > (including Sendmail, fetchmail, ssh).
> >
> > I've had this running on multiple machines for weeks without
> > problems.  What is your resolve.conf and nsswitch.conf?  Curious,
>
> I am running a local named that listens on { 127.0.0.1; }.
>
> My nsswitch.conf contains:
>
> 	hosts: files dns
>
> and resolv.conf is:
>
> 	search sea.gr freebsd.org irc.gr ceid.upatras.gr
> 	nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
> The curious thing is that Sendmail or ssh fail to look up hostnames,
> while running host(1) works.  I don't know if this is of any help, but
> if you need more data about the local setup let me know.
>
> Thanks for looking into this,
> Giorgos.

  Thanks for the info.  Are you sure that you only reverted the one delta?
Oddly, when I do the same I still have trouble resolving via localhost (i.e.
with or without revision 1.134).  I can only get DNS via localhost working
again by explicitely adding 127.0.0.1 to lo0.
  If anything I suspect that something is preventing 127.0.0.1 from being
assigned to lo0 at boot (maybe my commit, but I don't see how).  But again,
I'm still looking into it. :|

  Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey -- kbyanc@{posi.net,FreeBSD.org}