Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:02:43 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Rob Andrews <rob@cyberpunkz.org>
Cc:        Marc Rogers <marcr@shady.org>, FreeBSD-Security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login_conf vulnerability.

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 07:55:40AM -0500, Rob Andrews wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 03:48:34PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but IMHO this will only stop cluebies who do
> > not take the time to look and see just *why* the 'default' override
> > does not work.  What happens when they change their .login.conf file
> > and override the 'standard' login class instead?
>
> Users cannot change their login class on the system with .login.conf,
> they can only affect certain things such as path statements and such.
>
> Try it yourself and see..  :)

Yes, but they can override them for whichever class they choose to
specify in their own .login.conf.  Venglin's BugTraq post gave as an
example a user .login.conf file consisting of:

default:\
 :copyright=/etc/master.passwd:

This overrides the 'default' login class; if the sysadmin changes
the user's login class to 'standard', then what is there to stop
the user from doing the following?

standard:\
 :copyright=/etc/master.passwd:

G'luck,
Peter

--
because I didn't think of a good beginning of it.