Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:42:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Michael C. Vergallen" <mvergall@mail.double-barrel.be>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>, Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var/db/pkg/.mkversion

Sorry to bud in... but shouldn't /var/db/pkg be only used for package
admin purpouses and only for that. Otherwise things get sloppy if one
needs to have a .mkversion shouldn't it be in /etc and automatically
generated upon bootup from the kernel version number or if the file is
used to assetain how to build a port i.e. ELF or a.out their are other
ways to accomplish this ...but eh I think the switch to ELF should be
finalyzed soon becuase keeping the a.out ports in the current release
could be confusing for newbies... namely if they havent installed the
compat module it may get sticky... ( note I could be wrong here ).

Michael
---
Michael C. Vergallen A.k.A. Mad Mike,
Sportstraat 28			http://www.double-barrel.be/mvergall/
B 9000 Gent			ftp://ftp.double-barrel.be/pub/linux/
Belgium				tel : 32-9-2227764 Fax : 32-9-2224976