Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2022 11:19:55 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dragonfly Mail Agent (dma) in the base system

On 30/01/2022 14:01, michael.osipov@siemens.com wrote:
> Sendmail: The biggest problem is that authentication strictly requires
> Cyrus SASL, even for stupid ones like PLAIN/LOGIN, accourding to the
> handbook you must recompile sendmail from base with Cyrus SASL from
> ports to make this possible. A showstopper actually, for two reasons:
> 1. I don't like mixing base and ports, it just creates a messy system.
> 2. While this may work with hosts, when you have jails running off a
> RELEASE in Bastille this obviously will not work.
> Not going to work with sendmail easily.

I think this is a critical point: at the moment, we're paying the cost
of having a full-featured MTA in the base system, without getting most
of the benefits.  Around 2003, I hit exactly this problem.  The
instructions after update were slightly terrifying: after each base
system or ports update, I potentially had to recompile my own sendmail.

There's now a sendmail+sasl configuration in packages and so I was
incredibly happy to be able to move away from using sendmail in base.
Now I have two copies of sendmail on some machines.  The one in ports,
for compatibility reasons, looks for config in /etc/mail not under
LOCALBASE, which is a layering violation and means that freebsd-update
periodically tries to corrupt my config.

I have no strong opinions about where we move to, but moving *from*
shipping a limited sendmail in base would make me very happy.

David