Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:43:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark <markm@offline.dct.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rm dir, not empty? (fwd)

Forwarded message:
> >On Mon, Aug 31, 1998 at 11:13:24AM +0200, Anders Andersson wrote:
> >
> >> [root@enterprise /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/lib]# rm -rf libgmp/
> >> rm: libgmp/: Directory not empty
> >
> >Try 'rm -rf libgmp'
> >

> rm -rf libgmp gives me the same error:
>
> [root@enterprise /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/lib]# rm -rf libgmp
> rm: libgmp/: Directory not empty

By any chance are you on an NFS mount?  If you are, you may have a stale NFS
handle in the directory, something eqivalent ot .***NFS or something like it.
If you have that, telnet to the machine that the NFS mounts are being mounted
from, and delete the dotfile (stale NFS handle)  Then you will be able to
remove the directory.  Or, you could just remove the directory with "rm -rf"
on the machine serving the mounts as well...

--
Mark Maurer  markm@dct.com                      mwmaurer@mtu.edu
Programmer,  Digital Magic Interactive          http://www.dminteractive.com