Date:      Sun, 20 May 2012 10:41:00 -0400
From:      Chris Brennan (lists) <lists@xaerolimit.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS mounting order

Greetings!

I have a FreeBSD 9 system with 3 different ZFS pools on it. I am
booting from a ro CF Card w/o any major issues, the problem I am
encountering is that zroot needs to be mounted at boot first, because
it contains /usr, zhome and tank contain other various sub-partitions
of /usr.

Also, zroot causes me a lot of problems when I try to do "zpool
import", when zpool gets to probing zroot, I get g_vfs errors printed
to the console and the hacnine hangs till I reset it (which is
obviously not acceptable behavior.) I was able to get around this when
booting to my cf card by making / ro, which was my intention all along
for that media.) I suspect this happens because there is a on that
volume that is trying to replace something on / on either the USB boot
img or on my CF card and this might be causing either to freak out.

So I dunno what to do to get this working the way it should and some
guidence would be greatly appreciated!