Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 22:44:03 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, brian@pobox.com, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Marketing FreeBSD / FreeBSD as a pr

> You know how you're constantly talking about having huge numbers of
> things that need to be done, and nobody actually doing them?  Well...

There's a big big gap between "talking about doing" and actually
doing, Gregory. :) I do draw a distinction between the two and only
grant the benefit of the doubt on someone who's provably done it
before in some other venue.

> 1.  Brian will contribute articles.

See above.  When the articles start to actually appear, I'll be the
first to congradulate Brian and apologize for my lack of faith.

> 2.  Brian will pay the bill for cover artwork for a CDROM.

I've also already established that footing the bill is the easy part -
I've been doing that for awhile.  Trying to find an image that people
LIKE and want to see on a CDROM cover is far more difficult than you
could ever imagine, however.

I've also dealt with professional artists (where do you think the
USENIX special CDROM cover came from?), some of the very *same*
professional artists who have reaped kudos for their other work in the
open source community, but getting something which somehow
"represents" FreeBSD and does so in a way which is visually
interesting/amusing/impressive is the hard part.  The money is
probably the easiest part of all.

> 3.  Brian will assist with PR, something that is sorely needed.

See point #1.

> 4.  He is planning unspecified future help in addition to the three
>     things above.

See point #1 again.

> On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 09:51:31PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > I've also said many times that anyone with better artwork to suggest
> > need only step forward with said artwork and I'd be more than happy to
> > consider it - where do you think the original "daemon walking out of a
> > CD" artwork came from?
>
> You didn't say it to him.

I've said it enough times that I rather hoped I didn't have to
repeat it yet again. :)

- Jordan