Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 2015 10:30:24 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Clarification on simple, incremental ZFS backup

On Jul 1, 2015, at 10:13, Brandon J. Wandersee =
<brandon.wandersee@gmail.com> wrote:

>  `zfs send -R <source_pool>@<snapshot> | zfs receive =
<backup_pool/backup_fs>`
>=20
> There's a problem with this, though: when the filesystem is replicated
> all its properties are retained (naturally), including mountpoints. So
> the backup gets mounted over my local filesystem, making both
> useless. There's no way that I can see to unmount the backup =
filesystem
> (as that's now mounted to '/'), and importing the filesystem again =
after
> a reboot just mounts it over the local filesystem again. What am I =
doing
> wrong, here? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Does anyone
> here have a similar rsync-like backup scheme?

Use zfs recv -e (or -d) to put the replicated copy under a different =
mount point. I also set the mount point on my backup datasets to none to =
prevent accidental changes. Remember you can also snapshot and replicate =
the changes between snapshots to make the replication faster. We are =
backing up servers via ssh tunnels and incremental sends / recvs

--
Paul Kraus
paul@kraus-haus.org