Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 1998 14:34:42 +0500 (KGT)
From:      CyberPsychotic <mlists@gizmo.kyrnet.kg>
To:        Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: qpopper

~ Hi, i am a security paranoid, so i would like to know how secure is
~ qpopper (which is the best: qpopper or cucipop)?
~ How can i use xinetd and qpopper together?

 several vulneriabilities were found in qpoper implementations:
the first, and the most evil one, is a buffer overflow, so consider an
upgrade, if you want to use it.
another, one, which existed in older ones, allowed an intruder to
brute-force passwords without being noticed (and even disconnected in some
cases).
as for cucipop, I never used it so have no ideas. On most of my Unix
systems I use pop3 daemon, which was originally developed for Linux under
GNU, but could be ported to BSD easily. (basically path fixes).