Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2012 09:24:19 +0100 (BST)
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd@edvax.de, mail@ozzmosis.com
Cc:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggest pdf viewer for pdf version 1.6 with annotations

	From mail@ozzmosis.com Thu Oct  4 07:56:05 2012

	On Wed 2012-10-03 11:26:38 UTC+0200, Polytropon (freebsd@edvax.de) wrote:

	> On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 08:50:16 +0100 (BST), Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
	>
	> > I got sent a pdf file, version 1.6, with annotations.
	> > xpdf can view the file, but not the annotations.
	> > Please suggest a pdf viewer from ports that might help.
	>
	> I haven't checked, but the "Adobe Reader" (port: acroread,
	> e. g. acroread9) should be able to do this, as PDF 1.6
	> support is in that product since version 7 (Jan. 2005).
	>
	> I'm not sure if it would be "less bloaty" to use a PDF
	> viewer coming with one of the big desktop environments
	> KDE or Gnome: Evince, KPDF or Okular... I'm not using
	> any of these, so I can't make better recommendations.
	> Whenever I approach the border of what xpdf and gv can
	> do, I use "acroread <filename>". :-)

	I'm curious if anyone's tried running the Linux version of FoxItReader
	under FreeBSD's Linux emulation. There's a good chance it supports
	showing annotations.

	http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/download.php

	Also I suspect Chromium (www/chromium) has an internal PDF viewer like
	the Windows & Linux versions do. It may also show annotations.

	A cursory web search for a PDF with annotations came up empty,
	otherwise I'd test both natively in Ubuntu.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
In general I think installing the linux
layer defeats the whole joy of fbsd.
Why use linux layer on fbsd if I can just
use linux directly. Perhaps I'm spoiled
by having access to multiple fbsd and linux
boxes. Maybe it's more of an issue for others.

Anyway, evince didn't work for me at all,
probably some ia64 issue. The easiest
solution for me is acroread on linux.

Thanks again

Anton