Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 19:01:33 -0500
From:      "Brent J. Nordquist" <nordquist@platinum.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.5-RELEASE:  Can't get out to the network

Congratulations to the FreeBSD team on getting 2.1.5 out the door!  All
the hard work in keeping FreeBSD -stable (while still trying to keep it
-current) is greatly appreciated!

[I'm assuming that -stable is the place to post about 2.1.5-RELEASE.
;-) ]

I was running the 2.1-960627-SNAP "beta" version (with its kernel).  I
pulled down just the sources for 2.1.5-RELEASE, and did a make world
plus a kernel build+install.  The compile went flawlessly.  Since
GENERIC didn't change between beta and final, I used my same kernel
config from the beta.

Now that I've rebooted the machine, I can't get out to the network any
more.  DNS and NIS both wait long times before failing.  The syslog is
producing an NIS-related message at a rate of about 40k lines/10
minutes.  The nub of the problem appears to be the output from ping.
ping to localhost (lo0) works fine, but to any network address (ep0) I
get:

ping: sendto: No buffer space available
ping: Wrote [host] 64 chars, ret=-1

The routing table (netstat -r) looks the same as it did before.  (I'm
not using routed/gated.)  A search in /etc revealed no files of interest
that have changed today (i.e., since/during the compile).

Is this a -RELEASE problem?  Any ideas where I could start looking?

Thanks in advance for any help...

--
Brent J. Nordquist      PLATINUM technology, inc. (ViaTech Development Lab)
nordquist@platinum.com  2600 Eagan Woods Dr., Suite 410, Eagan, MN  55121-1152

Voice +1 612 688-3033   Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
Vmail +1 708 620-5116               ...Who knows?
      (ext. 7806)                                  ...Who cares?