Date:      Thu, 18 May 2023 12:41:56 +0200
From:      Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
To:        Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the pinephone : considerations

--00000000000037872005fbf57600

Milan,why did you stop collaborating with me ? Suddenly you stopped
replying. What happened ?

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:33=E2=80=AFPM Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk> =
wrote:

> On Thu, 18 May 2023 12:08:04 +0200
> Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > some days ago on the FreeBSD forum someone posted this tutorial:
> >
> > https://research.exoticsilicon.com/series/pinephone_openbsd/part_1
> >
> > A lot of work has been done to port NetBSD on the pinephone, even if
> > the battery will not work as stated. I would like to know if this
> > tutorial can be taken as a solid base to port FreeBSD instead of
> > NetBSD. In other words, is FreeBSD so different from NetBSD that the
> > whole procedure can't be useful at all or some part of it can be
> > re-adapted easily? How much efforts and work is needed to adapt it?
> >

> Hi,
>
> at a glance, this tutorial is worth reading as it contains good
> overview of the whole process. The basics are there. Note it is using
> *OpenBSD*, not *NetBSD* as you wrote, but this is just oversight I
> think. For FreeBSD, you should probably try first running from microSD
> card, not installing to internal eMMC (SD card image for arm64/aarch64
> architecture should be a good start, needs just adding correct U-Boot
> binary).
>
> Regards,
> Milan

--=20
Mario.

--00000000000037872005fbf57600

=AFPM Milan Obuch &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:freebsd-arm@dino.sk">freebsd-arm@di=
rgin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:=
1ex">On Thu, 18 May 2023 12:08:04 +0200<br>
Mario Marietto &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marietto2008@gmail.com" target=3D"_bla=
nk">marietto2008@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Hello.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; some days ago on the FreeBSD forum someone posted this tutorial:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://research.exoticsilicon.com/series/pinephone_openbsd=
/part_1" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://research.exoticsilico=
n.com/series/pinephone_openbsd/part_1</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; A lot of work has been done to port NetBSD on the pinephone, even if<b=
r>
&gt; the battery will not work as stated. I would like to know if this<br>
&gt; tutorial can be taken as a solid base to port FreeBSD instead of<br>
&gt; NetBSD. In other words, is FreeBSD so different from NetBSD that the<b=
r>
&gt; whole procedure can&#39;t be useful at all or some part of it can be<b=
r>
&gt; re-adapted easily? How much efforts and work is needed to adapt it?<br=

&gt; <br>
Hi,<br>
at a glance, this tutorial is worth reading as it contains good<br>
overview of the whole process. The basics are there. Note it is using<br>
*OpenBSD*, not *NetBSD* as you wrote, but this is just oversight I<br>
think. For FreeBSD, you should probably try first running from microSD<br>
card, not installing to internal eMMC (SD card image for arm64/aarch64<br>
architecture should be a good start, needs just adding correct U-Boot<br>
binary).<br>
Regards,<br>
Milan<br>
iv>