Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 15:56:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        chuckr@mat.net, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld

 * Unless you have an if_de.c using ethernet card...

We're not talking about the kernel.  That's not part of "make world".

 * No, you can't, so long as any code anywhere tests __FREEBSD__.

Actually, if that code is part of "make world", it will be built using
the "new" compiler that has __FreeBSD__ defined to the right value.

 * > Do "make installworld" on the NFS clients and you'll be all set (I do
 * > this all the time).
 *
 * This will work, because the kernel and compiler versions will be correct.

Actually, if you are rebuilding the world AND the kernel on the
fileserver, this won't work, according to what you said above.  (It
will of course work if you build the kernel on the client, but that
always worked.)

Satoshi