Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:02:57 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Ware rocks

At 12:53 AM 2/21/2001 +0100, Roelof Osinga wrote:
> > sometime next month.  You can download the beta from Mike Smith's web page:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/
>
>Thanks. Wasn't there last time I looked ;).
>
>I think so, 3dm sounds familiar. Sounds like what the doctor ordered
>allright. Hmmm, guess we'll actually have to crash a disk to see how
>the remirrorring goes in practice <g>.

It works well.  I had to use it only once on FreeBSD, but several times on
Win2K.  The drivers on Win2k *seem* to be less stable that the FreeBSD
version. At least I have had sets go bad far more often on Win2K than on
FreeBSD.  Actually, the only time it went bad on FreeBSD was due to a bad
hard drive.  Its difficult to say whether its the OS or the drivers in the
MS case.  But in terms of my FreeBSD experience (and LINUX for that matter)
it has been excellent in RAID 0,1 and 10.  I use 2 RAID 0 sets for 120G of
news spool and the drives,driver and card get the crap beaten out of them
every day. Havent tried out RAID 5 yet.

         ---Mike