Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 15:10:56 -0500
From:      Munish Chopra <mchopra@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samsung ML-1210 Laser Printer

I recently purchased a Samsung ML-1210 Laser Printer, but can't seem to
get it to work (then again, I've never installed a printer in anything
else than Windows before).

I first tried the 'standard' procedure also described in the handbook.
The 'data' light on the printer flashes for a bit, then there is some
activity (as in parts of the printer moving), but it never gets to
actually moving paper in and printing.

I then tried apsfilter, no luck there either. I used the standard
ghostscript and non-ghostscript drivers, but nothing.

Cups was my last resort (though it's nice not to have a boatload of
dependencies like apsfilter). This didn't work either though.

For all of the above, the printer mostly seems to have some 'pre-print'
activity, then just sits there. 'lpq' shows active queues (for example,
here is some output from when I was using cups):

rn-re116a13# /usr/local/bin/lpq
Samsung is ready and printing
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
active  root    3       losscode.ps                     268288 bytes
1st     root    4       losscode.ps                     268288 bytes

I made a second attempt at using cups using the .ppd file Samsung
supplied on a CD, but no luck there.

This is on a -CURRENT system from Feb 3. I'd appreciate any help or
hints anyone could give me. Thanks.

Please cc any replies.

--
Munish Chopra     The FreeBSD NVIDIA Driver Initiative
                  http://nvidia.netexplorer.org