Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 2009 07:40:09 GMT
From:      Andy Kosela <akosela@andykosela.com>
To:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: standards/137173: `uname -n` incorrect behavior

The following reply was made to PR standards/137173; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andy Kosela <akosela@andykosela.com>
To: wollman@csail.mit.edu
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:32:53 +0200

 Garrett Wollman <wollman@csail.mit.edu> wrote:

 > In what way is an FQDN not a node name?

 Yes, 'uname -n' comes from UUCP times.  I think our discussion boils
 down to nodename vs hostname, which in legacy UNIX can have different
 values.  For me it seems natural that nodename (coming from old UUCP)
 should be identical to hostname without the full domain name
 information.  Is out there some standard defining it and explaining how
 nodename (UUCP) convention should be applied to hostname (ARPA, NFS)
 convention?

 --Andy