Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 09:29:34 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Versioning bsd.port.mk

Tim Vanderhoek <tim@x22> wrote:
>Yes, every port should depend on a specific revision of
>bsd.port.mk, not just the complex ones.

I disagree; a port that uses only $DISTNAME and $MASTER_SITES will
never break (unless we're morons).

Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>The reason why I mentioned putting the variable in the Makefile was
>because people are already having a hard enough time remembering to
>commit all required files

Hmm.  That was part of my reluctance to make it a seperate file -- wasn't
sure if people would remember it.

>By the way, do we really agree that we should force this variable
>(modulo manual overrides, of course) to exactly match the timestamp of
>bsd.port.mk?

No, I thought that it should be "this-version-or-newer", just like when
using __FreeBSD_version or BSD defines.

>can we use the date in the $Id$ field in the port's Makefile?

No, that will cry wolf too much.  Plenty of ports will still work,
while printing a warning that they might not work, so when a port
build doesn't work, the user will probably ignore the warning since
it was wrong so many times before.

I guess there's no "on error" target in Make -- maybe we could forget
all this versioning stuff and print a message about making sure your
bsd.port.mk was up to date when a build error occurs.

The best I can still think of doing is either a Makefile variable or a
files/ file; each has its pros and cons but there's no clear winner in
my book.

  Bill

P.S. This is probably my last word on the topic for now, since I'm
leaving for a couple of weeks, and presumably when we're back from our
honeymoon this will all have been decided and committed.