Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:56:13 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

* Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org> [010710 12:42]:
> On 10 Jul 2001, Rajappa Iyer wrote:

> :One of the nice things I like about FreeBSD (and I daresay I'm not
> :alone in this) is that when I install it, I know that I'll get a
> :kernel with a corresponding full and functional userland.  I see the
> :packaging of this `base system' as a bunch of (meta)packages as the
> :thin edge of the wedge---pretty soon FreeBSD will resemble the
> :hodge-podge collection of different (often conflicting) packages that
> :Linux is.

> Where as I see the ability to incrementally upgrade only the parts of the
> OS that have changed from release to release as I can do right now in
> Irix.

I may be low on caffeine, but I don't see how breaking up the base system
into packages makes it any easier to upgrade than using cvsup?

Id have thought it would require more work to upgrade under some system
similar to the ports tree (at least that's my experience)

But like I said, I've probably misread this post.

I thought the OP was referring to X in particular, and since that's
upgraded via ports anyway, it does seem a good candidate to be
installed by pkg_add (it's quite confusing for newbies to
"pkg_info | grep XFree " and have it return nothing, especially when
you're sat in Enlightenment...)

--
Oh, I don't blame Congress.  If I had $600 billion at my disposal, I'd
be irresponsible, too.