Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 09:08:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>
To:        nospam@hiltonbsd.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running Stable on remote production server

I have done this on a remote system many times.  It theoretically can
be a bit risky, but I have done it.  Same convenience factor for me -
I can get to the production box, but it's a pain.

What I do is...

make buildworld and buildkernel on the remote machine
make installkernel and installworld
mergemaster

and reboot.

This has worked every time I have tried it, but I am sure somebody
will jump in here and tell me I'm all wet.

If you forget _one single thing_ in mergemaster the box will probably
fail to get to the point where you can 'ssh' in.  Famous examples
include the pam.conf file or not making new devices.  Also you can of
course, with fat fingers, blow away your password or group files.

I would recommend that major (3->4, 4->5) installs be done from CD as
they are painful.  I did the elf upgrade in place but it was, um,
'fun' and I would not recommend it.

- Mike H.