Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:10:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      woods@zeus.leitch.com (Greg A. Woods)
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Static vs. dynamic linking (was Re: Using MD5 insted of DES ...)

[ On Wed, April 22, 1998 at 08:35:07 (+0200), Poul-Henning Kamp wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Static vs. dynamic linking (was Re: Using MD5 insted of DES ...)
>
> I disagree, I think just the crypt problem is sufficient argument to
> go dynamic.

I think if the interface is done in such a way that a run-time flag
chooses the appropriate mechanism then from an implementation point of
view it is irrelevant whether dynamic linking is used to save a bit of
memory by not loading the unused schemes (or indeed to avoid having to
have them all present on a given system), or not.  In either case the
programming and administrative interfaces are the same.  The only
difference is in resource utilization and overall administrative
restrictions (e.g. someone may not be permitted to have libdes.so, and
dynamic linking will allow that to be an option chosen during a
binary-only install).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>