Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 06:54:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Woodchuck"  <djv@bedford.net>
To:        scqdaf@globalserve.net (Dennis Favro)
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade: Over Internet or Just Get New CDs

Dennis Favro wrote:
>   I'd like to upgrade my version of FreeBSD, but I'm not sure which
> would be the most effective way to do it:  should I try woring over
> the Internet (over my pokey,old 28.8k modem) or should I just byte
> the bullet and get 2.2.8 on CD from Walnut Creek?
>
>   The shipping and exchange rates would put the cost up a little
> higher than I'd like to pay, but if going from 2.2.6 to the current
> release would be too excruciatingly slow...
>
> --Dennis <mailto://scqdaf@globalserve.net>

It depends how comfortable you are with Unix. The easiest way is
to bite the bullet, and order a CD, but I'd wait for 3.1 or so.
Unless, of course, there is some feature in 2.2.8 that you have to
have. But there probably isn't; 2.2.6-->2.2.8 is mostly bug fixes.

On the other hand, cvsup is rather painless. This would allow you
to update the source code from 2.2.6 to 2.2.8, after which you
would make the world from source (a few hours on a PPro 200), and
install it. You have to have all the source (/usr/src...) installed,
of course. After a cvsup, you *will* have it all installed, of
course, but the advantage of cvsup'ping the source is that the
amount of traffic is very small if your 2.2.6 already is installed
... only the differences between the version you have and the
version you're updating to are transmitted.

cvsup is described in its man page, and in Greg Lehey's "Complete FreeBSD".

Dave
--
           Strangers know your loved ones' phone numbers!!!!