Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 10:54:34 +0100
From:      se@MI.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing interrupts with PCI devices?

On Mar 16, 18:49, "Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:
} Subject: Sharing interrupts with PCI devices?
} I saw some commits go by about sharing interrupts under PCI.  The
} PCI motherboard I have has an aic7870 on it, and when a 2940 is
} also in the machine, the bios assigns them the same interrupt.
} The probe appears to run fine for the first card, but the second
} card hangs sortly after initialization.  I haven't found a way to
} force them onto separate interrupts in the BIOS or elsewhere, so
} it looks like I'm stuck (the onboard controller cannot be disabled
} :-().  Does the PCI code already contain logic to pass the proper
} unit number down to the driver if two cards use the same interrupt?

Shared interrupts have been working
for some time on our local systems,
and the code will be put into the
CVS repository Real Soon Now (TM).

PCI interrupts can be shared, but ISA
interrupts will have to be assigned
uniquely as before.

The PCI code generally finds the IRQ
line the PCI interrupt is routed to
by a PCI BIOS call, or (as the current
BSD code does) in a PCI configuration
space register.

The NCR driver doesn't install an
interrupt handler if the IRQ found
this way is '0'. It works in a polled
mode instead. There is nothing to
prevent you from making the driver
configuration depend on the IRQ being
specified. So it's in fact quite easy
to selectively disable the aic7870 in
the above mentioned case ...

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser				Internet:	<se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE>
 Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen	Tel:		+49 221 4706019