Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:15:07 +0100
From:      "Greg Quinlan" <greg@swlct.sthames.nhs.uk>
To:        <advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Linux vs. NT, take 2.]

Many years ago when dealing with another x86 based OS I was employed to tune
the OS's for clients.
(which all centred around how much power the machine had and how many users
the client had, or what they were doing, db etc)

Back then you could install the OS out of the box... and make it run like a
dog (so many people did this!)
Or I could take a little time to increase network resources, read/write
buffers, maximum processes, etc and make the same operating system perform
like a F1 race car.

The point I am trying to make is that;
    Despite the fact that Linux (FreeBSD) runs well on low specified
hardware, Microfuss does not.
    Who out there in user land has a machine as highly specked as the one
used for testing without taking the
    time to tune it. Is it not reasonable to ask for a broad spectrum test
rather than an extreme (to show what a
    farce the test was.)

It is fair to say that while Micro-softness are a media machine, it can also
argued that this is the only tactic left for them to stop the Linux
(FreeBSD) media avalanche (of course they can't buy a Free-OS)

It is highly flattering to think that the richest computer software company
in the world should compare itself with FREE software..... I think that
people should be laughing rather than getting angry..... Microfuzz is
getting worried???

It is also fair to say that Micro-madness is guilty of manipulating data yet
again, not going for independent tests (as they did in giga-net tests!)

... and from now on should be know as Micro-minded.

Greg