Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 20:56:05 +1100
From:      "Richard Lyon" <rlyon@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   stdc++

Hi,
 I have a few problems with the gnu stdc++ implementation in
FBSD V2.2.5.

Problem 1.

The compilation speed of gcc seems to be very slow when I
inlude templates from
stdc++. The application so far is only a few hundred line
long, but it takes at least 5 minutes
to compile. Normally gcc is very quick. The resulting
application is also much
larger than I would expect. (about 250K).

The application run speed is not slow, but it is not what I
expect based on previous
experience with FBSD on my machine.

Problem 2

The gnu stdc++ implementation does seem to be missing quite
a few things.
The omission hurting most now is no mem_fun_ref. I can work
around this
by writing my own looping with iterators, but it rather
defeats the point of
the library. There are other omission like correct name
spaces.

I notice there are a number of STL implementations such as
the SGI one. Has
anyone tried porting this to FBSD and are they any better?

Is gcc 2.7.x really up to it?

I notice that visual c 5 seems to have a fairly complete
implementation of
stdc++, so I will continue development using NT. At some
point I do need
to run this code using gnu under FBSD as that is my first
target platform.

Regards Richard .......