Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:36:27 -0800
From:      "Bert Hiddink" <hiddink@galileo.or.cr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Telnet and FTP not working, ping OK

Hello, Andrew!

El 8 Feb 2002 a las 18:45, Andrew Gould escrib=F3:

>> Telnet and FTP are no longer turned on by default.
>> (This is a good thing.)  You can turn them on at
>> bootup by:
>>
>> 1. uncommenting Telnet and FTP service lines in
>> /etc/inetd.conf; and
>>
>> 2.  enabling inetd in /etc/rc.conf with the line
>> 'inetd_enable=3D"YES"'.
>>
>> I hope this helps,
Indeed, this helped! I made the changes and got telnet and ssh working.
However, when I log in per telnet from a Windows machine to the FreeBSD bo=
x within the LAN, it
takes the FreeBSD very long to authenticate. Finally, it passes but takes =
up to 3-4 minutes. How
comes?

Authentication speed with SSH is no problem.

Thanks for your help so far!

Regards,
-brt