Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:11:49 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Jon Rust" <jpr@vcnet.com>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why no apache-fp-ssl-php?

From: "Jon Rust" <jpr@vcnet.com>
> I'm in the process of building a new web server. On my current box,
> I've got apache-php, apache-fp, and apache stronghold all running
> separately. On the new server I'd *love* to be able to have all this
> functionality in one package. Jonathon Frazier <wolfman@csocs.com>
> has assembled such a port, but it was rejected by "the powers that
> be" and thus won't be maintained. What a huge loss this is!
>
> Can I ask why it was rejected? The port is an incredible time saver
> since making all these pieces work together is NO SMALL TASK. Why
> would the port maintainers reject such a useful addition? And one
> that is so wanted by us users (as evidenced on the -questions and
> -stable mailing lists in recent months)?

Because creating all these apache13-a-b-c-..-x-y-z ports creates bloat in
the ports collection and makes it harder to maintain the individual
apache13-* ports (Besides the same changes needs to be made to each port
when upgrading).

Also, having all these Apache13-* ports confuses our users, because they
have to decide if they are going to install the Apache13 port or one of the
Apache13-* ports.  And then when they want to upgrade their server to use
mod_ssl, mod_frontpage, mod_x, mod_z  they get discouraged because we only
support a couple of modules in each of our Apache13-* ports.  Having
individual Apache Module ports allows them to add functionality to their
server as they need it.

Another concern is with port maintainers that do create Apache module ports,
they have to decide on which apache13-* port to support, since no two
apache13-* port installs their files in the same location and with the same
names ( httpd/apache for the server daemon, httpd.conf/apache.conf config
files,  different locations for the DocumentRoot, proxy cache directory,
etc...).

Mathew Dodd and myself have created a Modular Apache.  I just got done
tweaking it to work with FrontPage.

It is available from:

http://www.westbend.net/~hetzels/mod_apache.tgz

There are currently, 4 ports;

    Apache13
    mod_ssl
    mod_frontpage
    mod_php4

Try them out, and let me know if they work for you.

NOTE: Just untar them to a separate directory as they don't require being
placed under the ports collection in order to find their dependencies on the
Apache13 port.

Scot W. Hetzel