Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:54:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <199904281004.UAA27348@cimlogic.com.au> John Birrell writes:
> : The FreeBSD kernel is not affected. I'm not proposing to specify what
> : the desktop looks like, just the information that is made available
> : to the desktop programs.
>
> I really like this idea.  For too long there have been too many
> kludges to get around not having this infomation co-located with the
> executable.
>
> After all, we're just talking an icon here.  Window managers can
> display it, or override it as they see fit.

Honestly, even tho it can be done via objcopy, what we need is a API,
something that we guarantee to folks that we won't subtract from
(additions only, and no changing stuff), a standard way to ask a
application for a property, and get back that property, whether that
property is a gif file, or a string, or data.  I'm aware that this would
be global data, but it could include things like ~ based paths to user
state files.  If we offer folks a neat way to store state, this would be
a strong attraction for GUI programmers to do things for FreeBSD.

This could actually become very interesting.

This isn't all that difficult a job, and can be done in a way that would
have no effect at all to those folks who don't want the new features,
removing any sane basis for complaint.  We'd still get the insane
complaints, but I give you permission to forward those to me (great,
Chuck, open mouth, insert foot!)

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).