Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:37:08 +0000
From:      Richard Smith <rsmith@trltech.co.uk>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Your misconceptions about the GPL

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Richard Smith wrote:
>
> >I could release my new megasuite under either BSD or GPL and will
> >forfeit monetary gain through either route.
>
> Why is that?  You are still allowed to charge for commercial products,
> correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can choose to release _my_ product under
both the GPL and my commercial licence, charging for the latter.

What the GPL prevents is people taking my GPLed product and charging for
a derived work. It doesn't restrict me in any way as the original
copyright holder.

That was the point I was trying to make.

I agree that the GPL is insidious, but you only really notice this when
you look at the community as a whole, with each individual copyright
holder mutually locking each other into the GPL.

Richard.