Date:      Mon, 08 Jun 2009 13:18:13 +0200
From:      Mister Olli <mister.olli@googlemail.com>
To:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, redtick@sbcglobal.net
Subject:   Re: Samba3 domain controller howto?

hi,

> yes, you are mis-understanding
>
> samba itself is a NT4-type domain.
not quite right. It depends on the samba version your using.
- samba3 only provides NT4-type domains
- samba4 provides active directory domain types including GPO (I have
such a setup running in 7.<SOMETHING> with around 10 users. It works
quite good, beside the fact that samba segfaults from time to time
(which I covered by running samba4 in foreground within an endless
bash.-loop)).

there is even a new build-option that creates the 'samba franky' release
which uses samba3 & samba4 at the same time to make nearly all samba3
feature in combination with AD environments available, but it didn't
have the time to look into that. But it sounds quite promising, since
samba4 lacks some features samba3 already has.

Regards,
---
Mr. Olli