Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2004 04:51:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, <freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU
Subject:   Re: RFC: rework of the main web site's "internal" page

Now that everyone's back from the new year, let's see if we
can try to pick up this idea again.

The general change that I'm suggesting is to rearrange the
page on http://www.FreeBSD.org/internal to make it less
ugly and more logically organized.  There are two parts to
this: 1) fixing that page itself (including removing
redundant information that is on other pages already), and
2) attempting to split up the next-level "Resources For
Developer's" page into "technical resources" versus
"policies".  The former is probably a better success than
the latter at this point, but it's a start at trying to
avoid introducing too many new concepts to fresh volunteers.
(Why list the machine resources and commit bit policies
before even talking about their responsibilities?)

I've incorporated feedback from Ken Smith in terms of
getting rid of contractions.

The prototype pages can be loaded from
http://www.lonesome.com/FreeBSD_www/en/internal/internal.html
and going from there.  In that directory, you can also find
http://www.lonesome.com/FreeBSD_www/en/internal/diff.out.
There you'll be able to see that there is not much new
text, that's it mostly a rearrangement and style update.
In some cases a little bit of text has been added to make
it less "dry".

I'm not really too attached to any of the specifics in
the proposal (except one) but I already think it's better
than what we have.  The one specific?  That's those huge
blue links in the original; those just have to go :-)

mcl