Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 2012 22:23:43 +0000
From:      Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

On 26 Jan 2012, at 18:22, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:49:22 am Mark Blackman wrote:
>> a) who is "the project" in this case
>> and
>> b) what does it take for a release to be a release?
>=20
> I'll answer the two together.  The project is the entity that "owns"
> freebsd.org and a release is not a release unless it is present on
> ftp.freebsd.org and has a signed announcement e-mail with hashes, etc.
> no reason for a user to believe that a particular set of bits is a
> legitimate FreeBSD release.  Additionally, a release should be =
available
> via the appropriate tags in the CVS and SVN repositories available =
from
> freebsd.org machines.

Thanks. I wonder who that "entity" is? Everyone with a commit bit,
or perhaps just the RE team? Anyway, it's not very important in this
context.

I also tracked this down, but might be out of date.

=
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/release-proc.ht=
ml

"New releases of FreeBSD are released from the -STABLE branch at =
approximately four month intervals."

To be honest, I'm sure we all agree this sort of discussion is not =
useful on hackers=20
and obviously at some point needs to turn into work rather than points =
of view. Mostly it just
boils down, "lets see if we can do -STABLE point releases a bit more =
frequently".

- Mark