Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 18:20:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Howard Stacey)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dumb Q. on sendmail

> Quick dumb question ;-)
>
> I log in about every day via slip, & sendmail flushes my outgoing mail spool,
> 	(the line gets cut by the IP provider after 20 mins (shortage of lines),
> 	I don't pay, so I don't complain :-)
> Anyway .. my outgoing mail stacks up, sendmail build slow end to end
> temporary virtual circuits across the planet to deliver, this is _slow_,
>
> Ideally I'd upload to a fast local internet host, & let it sweat it out
> after Id hung up, lately I tried:
> 	mail foobar%freebsd.org@my-citys-ip-provider-host-name
> not much luck with that (can't remember why offhand)
>
> In the past I used a for loop on the remote-slip host, &
> invoked sendmail i-i -t there ... thats cludgy, & doesnt interface easily to
> mail readers etc,
>
> Is there some other obvious way I'm missing ?
>
> The only other way I can see is repetitive redial after hang up
> (or pay for hours of commercial IP gateway connect time)
> & wait while sendmail slowly does it's stuff, & the modem light barely blink
>
> PS I've got
> 	Ok8
> in my sendmail.cf  which says "Set connection cache size."
> Perhaps what I need to do is to up the no. of simultaneous sendmail slave
> processes to about 20 (anything else on my machine can wait ;-)
> PPS I've also set:
> 	# load average at which we just queue messages
> 	Ox20
> 	# load average at which we refuse connections
> 	OX20
>
> Julian S

Actually, what you *might* want to do is to pass off all your mail to your
ISP, and have their machines deal with it.  All you really need to do is
look at Sendmail's examples for "smarthost" delivery, where the local
Sendmail mostly disregards DNS/etc.  This is the fix that will probably
serve you best.

... Joe