Date:      Sun, 08 Jun 2008 16:26:13 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.org>
Subject:   Helping to put FreeBSD GNOME onto more desktops

--=-yJ2WKQp1TTS4YGjiYj9f

I attended BSDCan this year, and held a BoF discussing FreeBSD on the
desktop.  Some of the points raised by users were:

* FreeBSD needs a GUI network configurator (e.g. NetworkManager).

* There should be a port which creates an instant desktop (like
instant-workstation, but more modern and offering choices like GNOME,
KDE, Xfce, etc.).

* We need a native Flash Plug-in.

* FreeBSD GNOME needs to be easier to setup.

All of these are good ideas ranging from very easy to do to next to
impossible.  One of the attendees was Kris Moore from the PC-BSD group.
He mentioned that PC-BSD already has a FreeBSD network configurator
tool, and it might be easier to port that to FreeBSD [GNOME] than to
port (or rewrite) NetworkManager.  He also gave me my first real look at
PC-BSD.  I was impressed.  I thought it would be very doable to port
their network configurator to GNOME.

But then he suggested something for point four above.  A lot of his
users have commented that PC-BSD should have a GNOME frontend.  Kris
said, while the PC-BSD organization has no desire to maintain such a
frontend, it should be easy to build one using their PBI (PC-BSD
Installer) framework.  If such a PBI existed, it could leverage all the
existing tools in PC-BSD (including the network configurator).

So I decided to start there, by building a GNOME PBI for PC-BSD.  I have
just completed my first working version.  Screenshots can be found at
http://www.marcuscom.com/pcbsd/ .  On top of this, I have committed a
new port, x11-fm/pbi-thumbnailer, which makes the PBI experience within
Nautilus much nicer.  I will be making the PBI downloadable soon (from
the same URL) for PC-BSD to try out.

As you can see from the desktop screenshot, thanks to the Qt-GTK+ theme
engine, tools like the PC-BSD network manager tray just work in GNOME.
This brings us much closer to more usable FreeBSD GNOME desktop,
especially for those users transitioning from Windows.

As to the point about Flash, Kris also mentioned that he has the ear of
someone at Adobe who was hinting that a capable developer willing to
sign an NDA could be given code to work on a native Flash plug-in port.
This could bode well for PC-BSD and FreeBSD should someone step up to do
this work.

Regarding the instant desktop port(s), if anyone wants to offer some
suggestions, or code, to make these happen, that would be great.  These
ports should be more than simple meta-ports.  They should also do some
post-install work to make setting up the desktop easier.

Also, keep in mind we have some project ideas at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/volunteer.html for those that want to
do even more to help get FreeBSD GNOME onto more desktops.

Joe

--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome@FreeBSD.org