Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:58:49 -0500
From:      Brandon Falk <bfalk_bsd@brandonfa.lk>
To:        bf1783@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: Graphical Terminal Environment

On 3/6/2012 2:52 PM, b. f. wrote:
> Brandon Falk <bfalk_bsd at brandonfa.lk> wrote:
>
>> I've been thinking for a while about possibly making an extremely
>> lightweight environment that supports full monitor resolution, custom
>> fonts, and terminals... that's about it.
> You may also want to look at our system libvgl ( vgl(3) ),
> ports/devel/directfb ( http://directfb.org/ ), and
> ports/graphics/svgalib ( http://www.svgalib.org/ ).  Someone has
> mentioned wayland -- there was also an older X variant called tinyX
> that is still used by some minimalistic Linux distributions, and was
> loosely based on the X.org kdrive server.
>
> b,
Thanks for all the links. I'm going to have to try some of this out. I think I
am just going to end up writing a minimal NVIDIA driver that can set the video
mode, resolution, and draw some lines for now. I've never actually worked with a
video card before, only BIOS VGA functions and framebuffers.

-Brandon