Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 19:03:23 -0500
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <jacks@sage-american.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: cvsup port=www

> From: jacks@sage-american.com
> Subject: Re: cvsup port=www
>
> Yes, I installed Samba from ports, and check to see first if it would be
> fetching the latest version and that was the indication. However, after
> issuing "make" it tried to fetch fromseveral sites, but finally found one
> and went to the "older versions" directory on that site and that's what
> installed.... others on this list have said that has happened to thjem too
> and especially with Samba and Apache....

It's true that with some ports there's some lag time between the release of
the particular program and the ports tree being brought into sync with it.
e.g. if samba released a new version 10 minutes ago, I can guarantee that
/usr/ports/net/samba wouldn't be up to date yet.

That being said, the name of a directory on a mirror site is no indication
of anything, it's just a directory name.

6:52pm [root@cartman] # pkg_info | grep samba
samba-2.2.2_3       A free SMB and CIFS client and server for UNIX

And... if you root around samba.org (which actually took some rooting)
you'll find that v2.2.2 is indeed the latest -stable version of the
application.  Development version's don't count.

--Chris