Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:40:48 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bzip2 in src tree

At 1:17 PM -0500 2000/1/24, Ben Rosengart wrote:

>  And the time and disk space required to make world.  No thank you.

	What is the time & disk space requirements without bzip2?  I
recall multiple hours to do this, and hundreds of MB, but then maybe
I'm mis-remembering things.

	What does bzip2 add to this mix?  Doing `cd
/usr/ports/archivers/bzip2; /usr/bin/time -alp make` results in the
following:

>>  real 18.35
>>  user 5.49
>>  sys 8.24

	Hmm.  Under eighteen seconds to get the port, check the
signature, untar it, apply any necessary patches, and build it.  Not
bad!  Certainly not something I'd write home complaining about.

>>        2376  maximum resident set size
>>         318  average shared memory size
>>         280  average unshared data size
>>         130  average unshared stack size
>>       73059  page reclaims
>>          77  page faults
>>           0  swaps
>>         112  block input operations
>>         200  block output operations
>>           0  messages sent
>>           0  messages received
>>           0  signals received
>>        3618  voluntary context switches
>>        7822  involuntary context switches

	This on a rather busy Freenix Top 100 news peering server
(running 3.2-RELEASE, so it's probably not as fast as it could be,
especially with the VM changes in -CURRENT).  Granted, it is a dual
PIII@450 w/ 1MB L2 cache per processor and 1GB RAM, but that doesn't
mean that this machine isn't pretty heavily loaded.

	What is the percentage of additional time and disk space
required?  I calculate that the additional disk space required is
right around 2MB in /usr/ports/archivers/bzip2.  This doesn't seem to
be a whole lot to me.

>  Remember that the only win here is if bzip is used in an infrastructural
>  capacity (e.g. for packages and other install stuff), and it has been
>  pointed out that the savings on disk space are offset by the additional
>  memory requirements.  If it won't be used for infrastructure, then why
>  can't it stay in ports?

	Actually, I think it would be useful in an infrastructural
capacity.  In particular, I believe that it would be worthwhile to
compress the tarballs used for ports and packages with bzip2, or at
least make that an option so that the CD-ROMs we produce can have
more ports and packages on that first CD (which appears to be the
only thing some morons look at).

--
   These are my opinions and should not be taken as official Skynet policy
|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                 Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|