Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 10:29:41 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Christian Kratzer <ck@toplink.net>
Cc:        TrouBle <trouble@hackfurby.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: REWARD...! Perl Programmer master.passwd problem

In the last episode (Nov 01), Christian Kratzer said:
> no big deal. We have awk or perl scripts creating master.passwd files
> on freebsd since we started with FreeBSD 2.0.  We learned by reading
> the vipw source code.
>
> You need to do following
>
> 1.	write master.passwd.tmp or other name somewhere in same file
> 	system as /etc lives in.  Best is /etc/master.passwd.tmp
>
> 2.	run pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd.tmp
>
> 	This installs the new master.passwd and creates/updates following files
> 	- passwd 	plaintext stripped version of master.passwd in classic
> 			unix format without crypted passwords
> 	- spwd.db	Binary version of master.passwd
> 	- pwd.db	Binary version of passwd
>
> 	All the information for the other files is in master.passwd
>
> Thats it.  But beware. You can screw up things really bad.

And that 'Beware' line is exactly the reason you should be using the
'pw' command :)  Pw is supposed to be called from interactive programs
to actually do the modifications; it handles everything for you.  If
you are only changing/adding one userid, it won't rebuild the entire
.db file, making updates a lot faster.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com