Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 1997 17:21:50 +0000
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@munich.netsurf.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter compilation

proff@suburbia.net writes:
>> --
[Joerg's comments deleted]
>> cheers, J"org
>
>I've addressed all of these points appart from in-kernel compilation
>(see my kern pr). I don't believe that the ipfilter kernel code
>should have ever been placed in sys/netinet. This will cause no-end
>of future code-management trouble. sys/netinet/Makefile should be
>be modifed to union contrib/ipfilter and netinet transparently.

I grabbed the kern pr and managed to get ipfilter to compile into the
kernel (under both -current and 2.2.1) with some rather trivial
modifications. ipfilter still compiles as an LKM with my mods.

The biggest problem was that Julian only patched the files in
contrib. But it's easy to copy the files needed to make a kernel
into netinet.

One thing I had to do which I didn't care for too much was make
mlf_ipl.c part of the kernel, since this is where the DEVFS and
SYSINIT stuff gets handled.

Regarding whether the kernel build should reference files outside
the kernel src tree, note that Darren did import the apropriate files
into netinet. In my opinion we should make sure that these files are
kept up-to-date with what's in contrib, rather than referencing
../../contrib/ipfilter in /sys/conf/files (although I _did_ do this
for my tests :).

I'd say that, pending review, we now have the necessary scaffolding
to make ipfilter an integral part of FreeBSD.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
Work - gjennejohn@frt.dec.com