Date:      Mon, 21 May 2012 18:17:03 +0300
From:      George Kontostanos <gkontos.mail@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   PHP 5.4.0 : lang/php54

Dear all,

I just wanted to understand why did php54 became the default php port.

Considering that the majority of my clients want to stick with php53
with the susosin patch, I can't blame them, it is really very annoying
that we have to schedule a down time window so that we migrate from
php to php53.

Because currently there is no other way to do it unless you delete all
your php5 packages and recompile them again under php53. Sure, the web
server will still work even if you delete all php5 packages as long as
apache doesn't restart. But there are many applications who make
certain php cli calls. Those will not work!

So, my question to the maintainers is, was there a particular reason
that made you take this decision?

Regards

--
George Kontostanos