Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 09:31:56 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: new loader.rc stuff

Chuck Robey wrote:

> Daniel, I'm having a little trouble getting this to work.  I don't see
> any kind of example loader.conf, or loader.conf.local,  I made the file
> you asked, below (/boot/loader.rc) ... I didn't have a loader.conf, so
> on boot, it issues me an error on that.  I have a new pnp sound card I

> It would help me if you had an example loader.conf and loader.conf.local
> file hanging around ... and maybe an ls -lR /boot, so I'd know I had a
> complete set of files.

Well, first, this has been introduced only on -current at the
present time. I am in no hurry to mfc, because this thing has just
been introduced. I want the freedom to make drastic changes, and
I'll loose that once it gets on the stable three.

If you are running -stable, you'll be able to use it if you import
-current's sys/boot and sys/sys/linker.h, cd /sys/boot ; make depend
&& make all install.

OTOH, you might solve your problem just by adding the following two
lines to /boot/loader.rc

load kernel
load -t userconfig_script /kernel.config

and then putting your pnp configuration line on /kernel.config (if
it is not there already).

This will work on both current and stable, so I think I ought to
mention it. :-)

Now, back to the loader.rc stuff, in case you _are_ running
-current... it should have installed the following files:

/boot/loader.4th
/boot/support.4th
/boot/defaults/loader.conf

The last file is all you really need as example.

A man page is in the works. It is queued right after the loader man
page, which has been a real drag to write, but I think I might be
committing it today. But the loader.conf man page won't really add
anything for you that is not in /boot/defaults/loader.conf.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"My theory is that his ignorance clouded his poor judgment."