Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:41:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Thomas H. Ptacek" <tqbf@enteract.com>
To:        adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au (Adrian Chadd)
Cc:        dg@root.com, tqbf@enteract.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Privileged ports...

> The original idea was running a socket redirector (which, although SUID,
> is quite small and much easier to secure), redirecting traffic to the
> not-suid-anymore program, however doing it in kernelland appeals much more
> to me.

Ok, this is the obvious way of dealing with this problem "within the
system". INN does the same thing, to an extreme, with a small
root-privileged program that opens a reserved port and passes it to an
unprivileged process.

The problem is that, at some point, you still need to run the program as
root. If the past few months have taught me anything, they taught me that
you can't rely solely on the application code for security. Every piece of
code depended on by an SUID program is security critical as well.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can't trust crt0 start(), you can't trust
much else either. =)

Regardless, it's probably not arguable that UID 0 is overloaded right now.
It seems to me that an extremely worthwhile task would be to divide
privilege up amongst UIDs and GIDs (reserved ports being a simple
example), just as a primitive step towards distributing and
compartmentalizing privilege.

In any case, I don't think my patch introduces any "gaping security
holes". I do think it gave me a lot of flexibility on my systems (I like
how

-r-xr-sr-x  1 root  network  155648 Feb  3 00:13 /usr/bin/rlogin

looks on my machines), and it's an exceedingly simple modification. The
reserved port range already appears configurable (although I've never
played with it), so this isn't a very drastic change.

What's the issue with it?

Thomas Ptacek at EnterAct, L.L.C., Chicago, IL [tqbf@enteract.com]
"If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"