Date:      Wed, 01 Apr 2009 22:14:28 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_7 ata panic on atacontrol attach

Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Alexander Motin wrote:
> AM> Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> AM> > Hi there colleagues,
> AM> >
> AM> > atapci3: <nVidia nForce MCP55 SATA300 controller> port
> AM> > 0xbc00-0xbc07,0xb880-0xb883,0xb800-0xb807,0xb480-0xb483,0xb400-0xb40f mem
> AM> > 0xefcb3000-0xefcb3fff irq 23 at device 5.2 on pci0
> AM> >
> AM> >
> AM> > atacontrol detach ata7
> AM> > - insert ATA disk (ad14)
> AM> > atacontrol attach ata7
> AM> >
> AM> > pinics with Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> AM>
> AM> Any kernel verbose messages before it?
>
> Nope. Just
>
> ata7: [ITHREAD]^M
> ^M
> ^M
> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode^M
>
> and approx 15 seconds of wait between ata channel detection and the panic.

Are you sure that you have verbose messages enabled during boot or via
sysctl? It looks a bit too quiet.

RELENG_7 branch ATA maintenance is a bit difficult for me now due to big
differences from the HEAD. It makes me wish to sync them as there is
still too much time before 7.x EOL. May be I will do it after the 7.2
release process finished. Now is probably not the best time to do it.

--
Alexander Motin